SCARPITTA SalvatoreNew York, 1919-2007
Son of an Italian sculptor who emigrated to the USA, he moved to Rome in 1936 and in the 1950's took up painting with a style which evolves from a post-Cubist context towards matter-gestural results. In 1959 he returned to New York and exhibited in the gallery owned by Leo Castelli, with works composed of plaited strips of elastic and canvas on frameworks. His long working relationship and friendship with Castelli resulted in numerous personal and collective exhibitions up to the end of the 1990's.
Post a comment