Banica (Ungheria), 1907 – Zurich (Svizzera), 1965
He attended the Academy of Budapest, then in 1930 moved to Paris, where he worked as a draughtsman. He then moved to Zurich and from 1946 began working on relief paintings using sand, dried herbs, buttons and stones. Part of the 'Cobra' group, in the early 1950's he began creating works in relief using coloured glass and above all metal, which was to remain his favourite material. In 1964 he won the Gran Premio for Sculpture at the Venice Biennale.