Turin, 1836 – 1910
Painter and etcher. In Geneva from 1852 to 1856 he attended the studio of A. Calame and met Antonio Fontanesi. His subsequent embracing of Realism spelt rejection from the Promotrice gallery in Turin in 1858 and 1859. Landscape artist of great style, he began working with painters of the Rivara school in 1862. In 1872 he bought the Castle of Issogne in the Aosta Valley and restored it with A. D'Andrade. From 1890 to his death he was Director of the Civic Museum in Turin, to which he bequeathed his collection.