He graduated in Civil Architecture in Turin in 1837, with Bonsignore and Talucchi. In 1838, he also qualified as a hydraulic engineer and entered the Civil Engineers corps. In 1846 he was posted to the head office of the Turin and Moncalieri railways and took part in the construction of the Turin-Genoa line. In 1859 he was elected deputy to the Subalpine Parliament. In his architectural designs he tended to create complex, functional shapes with a clear perception of the distribution of masses.