After moving to Turin in 1912, he attended the Accademia Albertina for a year. He returned to painting after the war, in the circle of Casorati. In the 1920s, he put on many exhibitions in Turin and Venice (Ca' Pesaro 1923-25 and the Biennales from 1926), Rome (1923-25 Biennales), Milan and Monza, participating in exhibitions of the Novecento Italiano. He moved to Paris in 1928 and became a member of the Gruppo dei Sei. He lectured in Painting at the Accademia Albertina from 1956 to 1969.