A painter. After studying in Parma, he moved to Turin in 1774, where he caught the attention of the king, before going to Rome in 1777. Here, under the protection of Cardinal Albani, he studied with A.R. Mengs. In 1789 he became court painter to Victor Amadeus III. When the French arrived, he returned to his native Valsesia, but moved to Milan in 1802, where he became a much sought-after portraitist. Despite the amputation of his right hand in 1809, he continued a highly successful career.