A sculptor. In 1908 he put on his first exhibition, at Ca' Pesaro, with highly stylised, expressionist terracotta and ceramic works. After the war he turned to an intimate, archaic purity of form, in an original fusion of F. Laurana and Brancusi, Arnolfo and Etruscan-Roman sculpture, in line with the work of Valori Plastici in Rome. He exhibited with the Novecento Italiano and made a significant mark at the Quadriennale in Rome in 1931. He later received commissions for monuments and became one of the leading names in twentieth-century Italian sculpture. He stopped working on sculpture in 1945.