Lyon (France), 1729 – Turin, 1821
Painter. After training in France, he moved to Rome in 1753, where he met Batoni and Mengs. In 1765 he was called to Parma by Philip of Bourbon as a portrait painter. When he returned to Rome he made a name for himself as a historical artist and portrait painter for an international clientele (paintings for the Borghese and Barberini palaces, 1774-75). He was called to Turin by Vittorio Amedeo III in 1777 where he directed the Regia Accademia and became the first painter to the court (vault of the Royal Library). He was also given official commissions during the French period and the Restoration.